- traditional, brick and mortar campus
- accelerated, distance learning
- straight to the work force
Since most students are still choosing the traditional approach, this article will specifically address how even that path can be accelerated and maximized to help you go faster and save money by effectively managing your course load.
It's strange, but true: in junior high and high school, so much time is spent learning that students are rarely taught how to learn. Teachers are under the gun to meet standards and full lesson plans. Class sizes are getting bigger and bigger. There just seems to be no way to devote class time to learn how to learn.
Consequently, most students approach college with the same study skills they managed to develop in high school. The problem is that high school worksheets and interactive lessons are replaced with a heavy load of independent reading, fast-paced lectures and massive exams. Let's face it, high school level study skills just won't cut it for college level work.
The norm for most students who make an effort at good grades in college is to work hard to keep up with the syllabus and then put in a lot of extra time--usually all-nighters--when the exams roll around. That's because this is the typical "learning" cycle:
- the beginning of most school years in junior high and high school are a review of the year before...
- the first two years of college are basically a review of high school...
- coursework in the major area of study for a degree builds on previous study to deepen a student's understanding of the academic area...
...the only study time spent should be on taking in new information rather than relearning previously covered material while trying to wrap your mind around the new information too. The good news is, Brain BootCamp can help!
What if your college semester flowed more like this:
- Before classes started...
- you were able to memorize the entire glossary in the back of your text book
- you systematically read through your text book
- you took notes on everything in your text book in such a way that left room for additions throughout the semester
- Once class started...
- rather than completing the reading (which you've already done), you...
- added to your already taken notes from the lecture...which you actually understood because you know the vocabulary and read the book
- spent time working out the concepts you already recognized need extra attention,
- began locking it all away in your long-term memory rather than cramming the night before
- used your same note-taking strategy to aid in writing any papers due throughout the semester
- enjoyed the other opportunities of college life that came up--with no guilt because you're on top of things
- When midterms and finals came around...
- you were already ready and just enjoyed a lighter class load rather than needing extra study time
- you got great grades which opened more doors in the future
The only thing standing between you and this reality is a few time management choices and accelerated learning skills like...
- Four levels of reading and the understanding of when to use each level
- Tools to assess the purpose or usefulness of a book in 15 minutes or less
- Ability to quickly find the information you need from any written material
Through Effective Note-Taking you will gain a method of taking notes that is:
- Quick to write and quicker to review
- Incorporates the use of symbols and abbreviations
- Allows for related information to be added at any time in the future
Most people waste precious time having to learn and re-learn key pieces of information before they can begin building a structure in their minds. Powerful Memorization eliminates the need to re-learn. Through this course, you will gain multiple tools and techniques for learning:
- how to memorize abstract information very quickly
- with a review system that insures it sticks with you
So what do you think? Do you want to give Brain BootCamp a try? What could it do for you? In today's fast-paced, constantly developing world, learning is a life-long activity. Those who can learn quickly and effectively will consistently be at the head of the pack. Brain BootCamp is a great way to accelerate and maximize your college experience--saving you time and money.
Additionally, the entire Brain BootCamp Series is included free in our 1st Test Success Kits. For just $185, you can pick up invaluable accelerated learning skills PLUS an extra 6 college credits!
The next step in working smarter is learning how to earn college credit while saving both time and money.
Subscribe to our blog so you don't miss it!